Pages

Saturday, September 25, 2010

In Oakhurst

The Yosemite Flute and Art Festival is held in Oakhurst, CA. Oakhurst is one of the many "Gateway to Yosemite" cities that surround Yosemite National Park, Oakhurst being about 14 miles from the south end of the park. I had a lapse of preparation that kept me from remembering to bring my flute stands, so I spread my wares out on the table.

Oakhurst is still pretty warm this time of year, and the park is in a bowl that stays hot throughout the day, but most of us are coping pretty well. The best part has been seeing flute friends, both makers and players, and my delight in seeing my dear friend, Kiriel, made my day today.

I also had my first official turn at an open mike session with my backing tracks to my compositions. I played Anasazi Walk, Anasazi Waltz, a Mojave Improvisation, Spring Bird, and Crystal Dream. The reception for the music was good and the sound system was first-rate.
My friend Tahoe Larry spent some time with me and we traded instruments. I got a sweet A minor flute from him and it was good to see him again.
A flute festival is a pretty happy and safe environment and there is no shortage of talent and craftsmanship here. All of the conversations today with customers and curious  visitors were friendly and informative.



My booth (on the left) at the corner of one of many "flute alleys".

No comments: